Metra stereo dash kit $38.50
Stero wire harness$13.50
OR get all of the above from HonestDee for $62.00 shipped
Scosche line out converter (SCL-4 or FAI-3A) $22.99
*note* the line out converter is needed if you have the BOSE system, if you don’t have the BOSE system/Amplifier, you don’t need this
other (electrical tape, wire crimp tool, small 14-16 gauge splicers, screw drivers, etc.)
1. BYPASS your AVIC D3… follow this link and do as stated…very easy hack that WILL NOT void your warranty!
2. Disconnect the (-) to battery.. this may seem trivial, but this can mean the difference between blowing a random fuse somewhere and not!
3. Begin to disassemble your factory deck. 1st, take a very fine flat head screw driver, and pry out the center air vent, starting at the corners. Do this gently, but firmly.
Eventually, you’ll be able to pull the entire piece out… then disconnect the wiring on the back by pushing down on the tabs and then pulling the plastic piece out of the socket. There should be two, one for hazards and one for the airbag notification light for passenger.
4. Using a Philips head screwdriver, unscrew the two (2) screws at the top of the factory stereo.
5. Unsnap the small piece in between the storage pocket and the bottom of the stereo.
6. Remove the two Phillips head screws attaching the bottom of the stereo harness.
7. Remove the stereo by pulling towards you, it will unsnap from its connectors.
8. Unplug the connectors on the back of the stereo(4) and A/C control (1) it should be 5 in total.
9. Unscrew the climate control unit from the stereo brackets by removing the brackets (the screws attaching the stereo to the bracket are hex screws, you will need small hex keys to remove these)
10. Pop out the climate control unit, you will need this later
11. Take the climate control unit, and attach the brackets to it as shown on the directions in the Metra kit.
12. Next, screw these into the center dask kit with the supplied screws in the Metra kit.
13. Attach the double din ring to the metra kit, and cut off the ring in the middle as shown on metra kit instructions (do this for double din unit, if installing two single in units, don’t cut the center bar.)
14. Place the Avic (double din unit) into the center bezel, and attach side brackets as shown on the metra kit instructions.
Attach the pink wire (on the Avic D3 harness) to the VSS wire behind the speedometer bezel.
Open driver’s side door, pop off this half moon shaped cover. its held in by clips so just get a grip and pull.
Then pull off fuse cover to access this screw. Take screw out. Then pull down on lower cover under the steering column.
Once the lower dash is off, you can pull the dash bezel off. Its also held in by clips, but you will have to disconnect the Info center button connector once you get it loose so you can rotate it around the steering column to get it off. The green box is the piece you will pull out on to get the bezel lose. The red wire is where I grounded my AVIC brake wire.
Once the bezel is removed, you can see these two screws that hold the cluster in the dash. Remove them, then pull the cluster out.
Rotate the cluster and put it on top of the dash. Splice into the purple/white wire in position 30 for the Coupe.
Next, run the purple/white wire (from the D3 harness) along the door seal, behind your rear seat, and into the grey carpet at the top of the inside of your trunk. Connect that to the reverse wire by the rear lights. This will be the red/blue wire.
Wiring the unit…
The easiest way is to just get the wire harness (above) made specifically for our vehicle, this will limit the number of times you need to splice (and it’ll limit the number of mistakes you make)
1. Wire the harness from the AVIC into the Scosche SLC-4 (A1 – A8)
2. Wire the metra harness onto the SLC-4 (FAI-3A) as shown on the directions (B1-B8).
3. Plug the metra wire harness into the vehicle’s harness
4. Be sure to connect the RED, black, and plue/white wires from the AVIC Harness to the corresponding wires on the metra harness.
*note* The Orange/white Illumination wire on the D3 harness should be hooked up to the illumination wire on the vehicle’s harness (red/yellow). With this hooked up, when your headlights turn on, the monitor will dim a bit to pevent glare at night, also, when the D3 is in nighttime mode, thes screen colors will reverse to a nightime image (in addition to the dimmed monitor) very cool effect!
Tutorial by rjdmmfl1