By Wes Stinson, Infiniti Moderator
Tools used: 12 and 14mm socket, hammer (always on-call ),
Diagram of the belts and tensioners
Here’s the correct procedure
1. Loosen alternator tensioner
2. Remove alternator tensioner
3. remove alternator belt
4. loosen waterpump/PS tensioner
5. Remove waterpump/PS tensioner
6. Loosen AC tensioner
7. Remove AC tensioner
8. Remove AC belt
-assemble in reverse order… and replace loosen with tighten
Helpful tips (PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU START)
1. Note how tight the belts currently are. When you reinstall them try and make them just slightly tighter. That’s the best way I can describe how tight to make them, besides actually measuring the deflection.
2. Note the position of the tensioners. I put the alternator one on backwards the first time and that made an awful screeching noise – not good! Also, the tensioners are different, so be sure to keep them separate.
3. All of the tensioner adjustments can be reached from below. I tried from the top and you just can’t do the water pump adjustment from the top. They’re both easy to work with on the bottom, even easier with the nose of the car on jackstands.